Tuesday, May 24, 2011

B.O.M.B. Fest '011 - Dum Dum Girls



Just 4 short days 'til B.O.M.B. Fest! And 5 days 'til the Dum Dum Girls set on Sunday!

I didn't start listening to the Dum Dum Girls very much until after the lineup announcement, and after I knew I'd be seeing them for sure. But in that short span of just a few months, I've fallen in love. (Some bands, I've purposely stopped listening to because I know I'll have to miss them because of scheduling, but that's another story, not for this quick profile of a band we we will be seeing.) I don't have anything to say about the other bands playing at the same time, but if you find a gap of time, or if you're not sure about what to catch at 12:50 on Sunday, I'm highly recommending the Dum Dum Girls - 12:50-1:35 p.m. on the pavilion stage. 

The Dum Dum Girls have been described as if the Bangles and the Cure mated in 1982 - which is most perfect description of a band I've ever heard. (Thank you, Kenneth Partridge from Spinner, and Wikipedia for noting it.) The Dum Dum Girls definitely have this 80s feel to their garage rock/indie pop music. It's the loud, guitar-bass-drum-heavy music you'd hear banging from the garage down the street - with a layer of sweetness from lead singer Dee Dee, who has this beautiful and feminine yet still grunge-y voice. There's a cover of The Smiths' "There is a Light That Never Goes Out" on the Dum Dum Girls' 2011 EP, "He Gets Me High," which embodies their 80s vibe with just a faster pace than the original and a little bit of grunge on top.

Dum Dum Girls - "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out" (The Smiths) by AwkwardSound

I don't want to limit the Dum Dum Girls to the 80s, though - they actually have a sound that's pretty timeless. Their album/EPs have a good mix of fast-paced songs you just want to dance to and slower songs that will make you swoon. It's what you'd imagine listening to while sitting on the hood of your car overlooking the beach at sunset, leaning back and enjoying the first - or final - days of summer.

The Dum Dum Girls have two EPs and a full-length album, "I Will Be," so this is one of those situations we like to call, "the perfect time to see them." The most recent EP has 4 songs, and their songs in general range from 2-4 minutes. We're bound to get a little of everything in that 45 minute set. That means we'll get an eclectic mix of songs we'll frantically bob our heads to, songs we'll dance around to, and songs we'll sway to. I'm looking forward to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment