Monday, May 16, 2011

B.O.M.B. Fest 2011 - Free Energy




"Free Energy," "Dream City," "Bang Pop" and "All I Know" are my top four most played songs on iTunes.

Maybe it's because these are the first four songs off "Stuck On Nothing" and I have a 20-minute drive to school. Maybe it's because I rarely drive more than 20 minutes anywhere. Maybe it's because Free Energy is the best way to get pumped for the day - or enjoy the rest of it after leaving work or school. I'm talking about some bright, indie pop rock mixed with classic rock guitar and plenty of cowbell - and wrapped in a vintage recording style that makes it feel like you're listening to a worn-out record or well played cassette tape. It's perfect on a sunny morning, or a cloudy afternoon. It's great for when you want your car ride to feel like, just for this moment with your windows down, you're alive, and that's all that matters. We write about things we like here on Merry Picnic, but this post right here is about something I really like. Clearly.

We're getting to B.O.M.B. Fest bright and early on Saturday, May 28 for Free Energy's set from 12:20-1:05 p.m. on the pavilion stage. I can't think of a better way to start our B.O.M.B. Fest weekend, honestly. It's hard to believe that our first Free Energy experience was nearly two years ago - at I Am Fest 2009. There we were in a sparse crowd out there on the New London pier. Some people were already fans. Some people, like us, were there early to get the most bang for our buck and check out some of these bands we'd heard of but hadn't listened to yet. In that case, we got a ton of bang for our buck because I Am Fest was free, and I was introduced to two of my new favorite bands, one of which being Free Energy. (The other being The Drums, in case you were wondering.) Free Energy is great live. They live up to their name.

B.O.M.B. Fest is May 28-29 at the Comcast (Meadows forever to me) Theater in Hartford. Tickets range from $60 for single day open air passes to $99 for 2-day GA pavilion passes and $349 for VIP 2-day passes. More info can be found at the B.O.M.B. Fest website: http://www.bombfest.com/.

No comments:

Post a Comment