Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Beetlejuice - The Banana Boat Song (Day-O)

Talking Belafonte last week got me thinking altogether too much about my favorite use of my least favorite track off Calypso. “The Banana Boat Song (Day-O)” has become a part of the collective consciousness due to its inexplicable overuse at baseball games, completely ruining for me what would otherwise be a fairly inoffensive tune. There’s still one situation where I’ll find myself enjoying it, the famous possession sequence from Beetlejuice. Catherine O’Hara and Jeffrey Jones’ enthused but confused dance routine while possessed by Alec Baldwin and Geena Davis’ ghosts is nothing short of hilarious. The looks on their faces, feeling the music co-mingled with the terror of having no control over their bodies, make for a delightful dichotomy. The whole film is classic, but this scene stands out as the funniest scene lacking Michael Keaton’s manic title character. Check it out, embedded below.

No comments:

Post a Comment